Wednesday, July 20, 2011

16th Best Fanfic I've Ever Read: View of the Sapphire Sea by GenericDude

16. View of the Sapphire Sea by GenericDude

Section: Kirby
Genre: Hurt/Comfort, Romance
Rating: 10+ For thematics and thoughts about death
Type: Oneshot, 3200 Words
Status: Finished
Completed: March 27, 2011

Starring Characters: Meta Knight, Tiff

Description: An insomnia ridden Meta Knight seeks solace during the night at his favourite location, when a certain girl appears to offer her comfort.

Review: I had first heard of GenericDude when I first started out reading in the Advance Wars section, back when Fanfiction was classified as a guilty pleasure for me. He had created a romantic fic called Black Coffee which was in and of itself a big influence in my future career, especially in Paradigms. However, as lovely as the story was it did have its flaws, and so probably would be just inside my top 30. But it did inspire me to look through more of his work.

I've never been big into the Kirby series, but I like Meta Knight, so I figured this was worth a try, and it exceeded expectations. I was immediately drawn into the universe and the setting, the use of insomnia to add to the feel.

Trying to get into the enigmatic Meta Knight's psyche is something many fanfictions about him try to do, but this one does it best by far. When you make a character feel ways he rarely is shown feeling, that's a lot of risk, but it came up with a lot of reward. GenericDude manages to put Meta Knight through many very atypical scenes for his character- his vulnerability, his sadness and his love- and make it wholly believable, and that in itself is a remarkable trait.

. "Every year that goes by, trying to meet these demands...I can't keep going. I'm slowly but surely decaying every year...and because of my insomnia, I've found myself being confronted by the big question in life...when am I going to die?"


And Tiff is certainly no throwaway character, for sure. Her upbeat, optimistic views provide the perfect conversant for Meta Knight in this story- opposites attract, as they say. The relationship is believable, and the ending scene is about as good as it gets.

As aforementioned- out of all the Nintendo series, I know probably the least about Kirby, yet I knew GenericDude did a great job. He took risks, and it led to a remarkable story by a very Original Dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment