Monday, September 19, 2011

8th Best Fanfics Of All Time- I Will Never Forget by TrueToBeBlue and While You Were Asleep by Araceli L

Yes, there is another tie, ladies and gentlemen. I suppose this warrants mentioning that since I started this list two new fics left such an impact during the creathttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifion of this list that I had to include them. The first of these was Tealfrog's story, The Motley Band Crew, at number 10. It didn't help that it took me awhile to decide the top 10 to begin with, so I have another new fic further down the list. To make up for it, I declared another tie between two fics here at eight, and rest assured I love these both equally, and they are large influences on the way I write today.

Here's the first of these!

8a. I Will Never Forget by TrueToBeBlue

Section: Mario
Genre: Hurt/Comfort, Friendship, Romance, Drama
Rating: Everyone- only one semi-mature reference and it will fly over younger readers' heads.
Type: Oneshot, 3,000 words
Status: Completed
Finished On: January 16, 2010

Starring Characters: Mario, Rosalina

Description: During the celebration of the galaxy's rescue by Mario, only one notable guest is absent. Mario finds her and engages in a conversation that transcends what will happen after he is gone.

Review: It's incredibly impressive when a story is successful when nothing actually happens, and often I love to read these or attempt these. Between the start of this story and the end of this story, you can't really say anything changed except the thoughts of one of the characters. But it works. And it's amazing.

TrueToBeBlue (formerly Jake-X) brings a terrific, albeit unhappy, point in the Mario Galaxy storyline and universe, and explains it through Mario and Rosalina in an understated, beautiful way. The main idea is that Rosalina is afraid of attending the celebration of the galaxy's rescue because she fears she will get acquainted or friendly with the others here. This would be hard on her, as she is only on Earth once every hundred years (although I suppose Mario Kart excuses this. :P)

What I really took away from this at the surface is how perfectly Mario is interpreted. I'm not one to toss around the word perfect very much, but this was perfect, it really was. In a sea of Italian stereotypes and talk-a like-a this-a Mario presumptions, True brings forth an idealistic, friendly, comforting, caring and somewhat cocky adventurer with a kind, daring spirit. That's exactly what Mario should be like, not "Holy Meatballs Pesto Marinara Pasta Lotsa Spaghetti Am I Italian Enough Yet?" I must admit my own Mario fics take more than enough influence from this story. It's incredible.

"Mario, I know you mean well, and I do believe in what you say. I meant what I said when I said I trusted you more than anyone."

"Then why don't you believe me?"

There was no reply.

"Rosalina?"

"I do believe you Mario. Truly I do."

"Then why did you say otherwise?"

"…I am afraid."


And what else I really love about this story is just the underlying emotion that it takes a bit to identify with but you can see in real life. I've recognized that when Mario tries to tell Rosalina about what a help she was that it sounds like my own conversations with a friend who doesn't know how great she is. You can see Mario trying to convince Rosalina that she will never be forgotten, and a lot of the story's beauty lies in that. Because sometime love isn't proven by a kiss or a flower, but in what you'd do for them. And that's what makes this a true love story.

8b. While You Were Asleep by Araceli L

Section: Super Smash Bros
Genre: Angst, Romance
Rating: 12+ For subtle sexual references- never explicit but the theme of the story is about lust
Type: Oneshot, 1700 Words
Status: Finished
Completed: February 10, 2011

Starring Characters: Marth, Zelda

Description: Marth makes a decision about the painful, manipulative love between him and Zelda and finds his own power at last.

Review: What is, and has always been, Araceli L's best attribute and what makes her one of the best authors on the site (and one of the very few whose new stories I consistently read) is that in every story is the complete humanity of every character and every narrative. She becomes the characters, delving into their psyche and creating their thoughts, their positions, their ways, and then uses them to create the story. And I believe that her story that takes influence from OK Go's While You Were Asleep is perhaps her best example.

Dearest Zelda, whom of us does not know your secret?

Yet even though your hidden desire is buried so deeply within your heart, it shines through your eyes as brightly as your smile. I am not the fool you take me to be.

I am not a fool – but it is easier to pretend I am.

I listen to your serene, peaceful breaths – but they lack in reassurance also. I cannot seem to chase away my insomnia under the stillness of the sparkling sky, under the influence of your whispering breaths. For some reason they mesmerize me, paralyze me – just as you do.

Just as you do.

But I can bear it no longer. What has come over me lately, you might be wondering; my dear, I cannot tell you. I can't answer your despairing face – for you have never answered mine.

This is a fair trade, no?


The story follows Marth, in a narrative to his sleeping lover, as he quietly takes the power at long last. I liken this story to a perfectly tended song. The meek tone gaining its power flows into the beautiful, graceful words he tells his lover which flows into the physical surroundings which flows into the plot itself. It is all universal and interconnected, and creates a beautiful symphony.

And you feel for Marth, even if this goes over your head or you've never been in his position, because he lays his soul bare and Araceli uses it to construct his escape and his renewal. The character is intricate and you can tell she creates them from her sources, staying faithful even when the character is not doing things like he or she normally does. That's masterful, understated writing by someone who is faithful to her work.

Again, this is just an example of one of many works that she has successfully created. I had a hard time finding her best work, but what prompted me to pick this one was that I had read it several times, and it didn't hit me until three readings how well this was done, and more importantly, how much it influenced my work. It was truly a big influence on the philosophical and emotional writing I did later on. And she calls me a big influence on her. ;)


So that's the top 8s. I have the top 7 organized in my notebook and most likely the order will not change. They should be up pretty soon, as it's about time I finished. Also, I'll think about throwing in three more fics above the 20 and possibly expanding this to a top 25, for more officialness.

Cheers!

MoD

No comments:

Post a Comment