Friday, September 23, 2011

5th Best Fanfic of All Time- Speak Now! by Layla Kagamine

5. Speak Now by Layla Kagamine

Section: Super Smash Bros
Genre: Romance
Rating: Teen- it’s a light story but does have language and occasional innuendo.
Type: Short Story Chapterfic- 6,000 words
Status: Completed
Completed: January 28, 2011

Starring Characters: Nana, Lucas

I'm willing to bet Layla Kagamine is a hopeless, attentive and intelligent romantic. I can tell that’s true even though we haven’t spoken much and that is because she wrote this remarkably relatable, in tune and thoughtful romance fic that reminds up of why we love and who we love.

The story is the winning entry to The Stupendous Jimbo’s Challenging Romance contest which outlawed dialogue of any sort. Reading this fic, though, you’re not thinking “Wow, she did a good job without dialogue!” You’re thinking “Wow… this- I know this. It’s remarkable how much she knows me.” And she knows romance and love, and you have a strong feeling that this is written from experience.

Today was my best friend Lucas's wedding with a lady whom he had met 6 months ago. Lucas is one beautiful man; he has beautiful eyes that put stars to shame, an attractive shy smile and a powerful brain (maybe the reason why he has PSI?). We have been best friends for almost a decade, ever since that first day I met him in grade 8. I was the new girl, moving into a new town, he was the shy guy...

And, we just went from there.

We have been inseparable ever since. I was there for him during his first crush. I was there for him when his mother and brother died. I was there when he won the gold medal for the math-letics and I was the one defending him whenever he got taunted or teased. Now, 10 years later, he's getting married... Now, normally, I would have loved to attend my best friend's wedding, be the supporting friend to share one of his best and happiest moments.

...

Due to some reasons, however, I cannot help but have problems sitting through this one.


The story follows Nana, who is crashing her best friend Lucas’ wedding because she knows the woman he is marrying is a monster (but come on, I love Toadette!) and because she has also discovered that she is madly in love with him. Sure, it’s basic fare, but it’s not the plot that matters sometime, but the execution.

The story is spoken from a tone that is personal not only in the way that it is emotional but in the way that it is sharp, witty and occasionally sarcastic, as if it’s being spoken directly from Nana herself. Nana speaks in the present as she prepares and performs her wedding crash, and in the past as she remembers all the moments between Lucas and herself that she should have noticed showed how much they were meant for each other. That’s what makes it remarkable and relatable; you see yourself in the little moments and the big productions of this story. My personal favorite scene is the one revolving around Lucas’ birthday gift to Nana; it’s something that would really happen.

Even though this is number five on my list and there are fics ahead of it that have a good amount of romance, this is ultimately my favorite romantic fic written on this site. It’s someone’s heart written for the world to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment